Marian Catholic Family Forum
Marian Catholic Family Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Immaculata
 Mother of God
 Co-Redemptrix officially?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stevhep
Mary's Servant

United Kingdom
280 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  05:40:49 AM  Show Profile Send stevhep a Private Message
I am currently reading Who are you O Immaculata? by the SSPX priest Father Karl Stehlin mostly because it extensively quotes Saint Maximilian Kolbe. I am intrigued though because the author refers to the following quote from Leo XIII's encyclical Octobri Mense as evidence that the church holds the teaching of Mary as Co-Redemptrix

You must be logged in to see this link.
quote:
The Eternal Son of God, about to take upon Him our nature for the saving and ennobling of man, and about to consummate thus a mystical union between Himself and all mankind, did not accomplish His design without adding there the free consent of the elect Mother, who represented in some sort all human kind, according to the illustrious and just opinion of St. Thomas, who says that the Annunciation was effected with the consent of the Virgin standing in the place of humanity. With equal truth may it be also affirmed that, by the will of God, Mary is the intermediary through whom is distributed unto us this immense treasure of mercies gathered by God, for mercy and truth were created by Jesus Christ. Thus as no man goeth to the Father but by the Son, so no man goeth to Christ but by His Mother.

Now it seems to me that this passage certainly affirms Mary as Mediatrix of all Graces but Co-Redemptrix? I don't see it here. Certainly the Redemption occurred the way it did because of our Lady's co-operation and arguably Co-Redemptrix is a valid title but it is surely stretching things to claim a warrant for that claim from this passage.

Before all things and above all things,
care must be taken of the sick,
so that they will be served as if they were Christ in person;
for He Himself said, "I was sick, and you visited Me" and, "What you did for one of these least ones, you did for Me"

St Benedict

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

DeniseLawson

USA
810 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2008 :  10:45:52 AM  Show Profile Send DeniseLawson a Private Message
A couple of years ago, I posted a question on Catholic-pages about Mary as co-redemptrix and mediatrix. My question was more of a basic "what is this", which may be more simplistic than what you are looking for, but here is the best of the answers I got at that time:

Antonio's response was the most succinct:

quote:
"Co-Redemptrix," simply means our lady through her sufferings at the foot of the cross shares with Christ the redemption of the world. As St. Simeon once told her, " a sword will traspass your heart," and that became evident when Our Lord was dying on the cross. "Co-Mediatrix" simply means that we receive Christ's graces through her. Our Lord uses His mother to give us His graces, that's all.

Pierre posted the following links, from which I have removed the ones that were not active or returned a 404 error of some sort. As I said - this might be a bit more basic than what you are looking for, but maybe you'll find the answer you're looking for...

------------------------
Jesus meek and humble of heart, make my heart like yours.
Go to Top of Page

stevhep
Mary's Servant

United Kingdom
280 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2008 :  6:40:56 PM  Show Profile Send stevhep a Private Message
My question really was about finding some teaching from the Holy See which implicitly at least accepts that Co-Redemptrix is a role that we can say was one clearly fulfilled by our Lady. If such a teaching exists then I would like to spend time considering it. I think its beyond doubt that Mary as Mediatrix of All Graces can be deduced from the Magisterium but I'm not so sure about Co-Redemptrix being really present in the Magisterium as yet.

Before all things and above all things,
care must be taken of the sick,
so that they will be served as if they were Christ in person;
for He Himself said, "I was sick, and you visited Me" and, "What you did for one of these least ones, you did for Me"

St Benedict
Go to Top of Page

DeniseLawson

USA
810 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  12:55:00 AM  Show Profile Send DeniseLawson a Private Message
OK - try the following link, which has a whole list of Church documents, websites, streaming media and articles about the Catholic doctrine that the Virgin Mary is Co-Redemptrix and Mediatrix of All Graces:

The list is quite extensive, so it should keep you reading for awhile if that is what you are looking for...hope that helps.

------------------------
Jesus meek and humble of heart, make my heart like yours.

Edited by - DeniseLawson on Nov 10 2008 12:56:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

JohnF
Mary's Servant

USA
428 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  4:23:48 PM  Show Profile Send JohnF a Private Message
Pope John Paul II used explicitly the title "Coredemptrix" on at least five occasions in Papal Teachings

The Title, "Coredemptrix" and the Papal Teachings of Pope John Paul II

A primary caution of the commission seems to be against the specific use of the title "Coredemptrix" in discussing the unique cooperation of the Blessed Virgin Mary with and under Jesus Christ in the Redemption of humanity.

It must be strongly underscored that our present Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, has used explicitly the title "Coredemptrix" on at least five occasions in Papal Teachings during his present pontificate.

This is well illustrated in the 1985 Papal Address of Pope John Paul II in Guayaquil, Ecuador, where both the title "Coredemptrix" is used and an explanation of the role is given.

More: You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Marian Catholic Family Forum © 2000-2008 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2