Marian Catholic Family Forum
Marian Catholic Family Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catholicism
 Catholic Sacraments
 First Communion Attire
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Pro-life Sarah

653 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  12:26:11 PM  Show Profile Send Pro-life Sarah a Private Message
Greetings all. I traveled to my hometown of Auburn, NY for Easter and met up with my twin sister. Her eldest, Tyler, is my Godson and will be making his First Holy Communion on April 26th. My sister, Shannon, was telling me that the director of religious education (DRE) for her parish told all the parents that the kids in the First Communion Class WERE NOT to wear white for their first Communion - boys or girls....no veils or white dress....no white suits or ties.... and not to dress extra special, as the First Communion isn't any more important than any other reception of the Eucharist.

This, to me is a travesty. I'm working on collecting information to support the tradition of wearing white, the symbol of purity....of dressing "to the gills" to emphasize the importance of this transition moment and to make it stand out for the children forever. We wear white at Baptism and at a Wedding for the same symbolic significance. Why would it be taken out of the reception of First Holy Communion?

I've decided, as a former teacher of ten years, to go up the chain of command, starting with the teacher, then the parish priest, and then the Bishop to see if the policy can be changed. This was recommended to me by two priest friends who were equally shocked. Do you have any suggestions, information to support the wearing of white, etc. that I could benefit from?

Thanks, God Bless, and Happy Easter!

Take Care and God Bless,
Sarah

Please say one Hail Mary a day for the intentions all forum members

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

JRJ
Mary's Servant

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile Send JRJ a Private Message
This is abuse of the position. I would encourage the mother to go directly to the Pastor and speak to him in private, very respectfully. Calmly ask Father, "Do you know that the DRE has told the parents not to dress our children in white or however we as their parents see fit?" Then be quiet and listen to Father's answer. Simple, straightforward, calm and respectful. We women always hate to "rock the boat" and going to the Pastor is likely to infuriate this DRE, but so be it. When it comes to being our childrens' parents in this world, sometimes you have to be the parent instead of look for human respect. I would be very, very surprised for nearly any Priest to approve of this level of petty dictatorship. No parent needs documents or whatever to support their reasons for dressing their child in special clothing for a special event! Jennifer

Edited by - JRJ on Apr 12 2009 1:46:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pro-life Sarah

653 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  11:10:03 AM  Show Profile Send Pro-life Sarah a Private Message
I agree, Jennifer, but my twin is very shy and very timid.... so I thought that as Godmother, even though it makes me nervous, I have an "in" and could help out.... Pleas pray for me that I do the right thing and don't mess it up.

Take Care and God Bless,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

JRJ
Mary's Servant

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2009 :  3:41:57 PM  Show Profile Send JRJ a Private Message
An example that might fortify your sister in the future: Catholic World News (CWN) Glendon declines commencement honor from Notre Dame Apr. 27, 2009 (CWNews.com) Mary Ann Glendon has announced that she will not accept the Laetare Medal-- the highest honor conferred by the University of Notre Dame-- at this year's commencement exercises. Glendon-- the Harvard Law professor who recently stepped down from her post as US ambassador to the Holy See-- has indicated that she decided to decline the Laetare Medal because of her concerns about the commencement address that will be delivered by President Barack Obama. In an April 27 letter to Father John Jenkins, the president of Notre Dame, she wrote that a prospect "that once seemed so delightful has been complicated" by the Obama appearance and by Notre Dame's response to criticism from the American bishops. Full story at: You must be logged in to see this link. And this commentary gives fuller perspective You must be logged in to see this link. In declining to receive the Laetare Medal alongside President Barack Obama's honorary doctorate of laws at next month's commencement, Glendon has refused to participate in the shabby manipulation Father Jenkins attempted to engineer. It is a rare personage who could ennoble an award by refusing to receive it, but Professor Glendon has done just that. The Laetare Medal will now be known best for the year in which it was declined. Glendon chose, to use the apt words of Bishop John D'Arcy in this regard, truth over prestige. Jennifer

Edited by - JRJ on Apr 27 2009 3:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pro-life Sarah

653 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  03:21:30 AM  Show Profile Send Pro-life Sarah a Private Message
Wow. What great courage and example....

Just a quick update on the situation for my sister.... I had an email campaign with the DRE and eventually the pastor, and the group was talked to and told that white was certainly acceptable as were veils. All the children in my Godson's group had on white! :) It was a beautiful thing to see..... so thanks for theprayers and support. God used me as an instrument and the outcome was nice. I'm glad he gave me the gifts of writing and courage, as a battle was won....

Take Care and God Bless,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

JRJ
Mary's Servant

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  2:49:39 PM  Show Profile Send JRJ a Private Message
Good for you! I am sure you approached the situation with prayer.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Pro-life Sarah

653 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  10:08:24 PM  Show Profile Send Pro-life Sarah a Private Message
I did.....I prayed to the Holy Spirit and a prayer of protection every time I communicated with the DRE and/or the pastor....so that God's Will, not mine, be done. I didn't want pride to be the motive of the fight, and I don't think it was....:)

Take Care and God Bless,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Antonio A
Maryhead

826 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  12:24:06 AM  Show Profile Send Antonio A a Private Message
Hi Pro Life Sarah,

"I've decided, as a former teacher of ten years, to go up the chain of command, starting with the teacher, then the parish priest, and then the Bishop to see if the policy can be changed. This was recommended to me by two priest friends who were equally shocked. Do you have any suggestions, information to support the wearing of white, etc. that I could benefit from?"

There was a time we had to beware of the enemy OUTSIDE the Church, now they are DRE's, lovely! The DRE or Trojan Horse is dead wrong and you should follow the chain of command to let the bishop know what the DRE is up to. The DRE has an agenda which is contrary to church teaching and in the process the Catholic identity of the kids suffer. Imagine what St. Pius X would have to say about this non-sense!

Antonio A. Obregón

Edited by - Antonio A on May 30 2009 12:28:30 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Marian Catholic Family Forum © 2000-2008 ForumCo.com - The Forum Company Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2